26 June 2012

In defense of Egyptian men


Egyptian men have a bad reputation.  Horror stories abound of women being subjected to harassment, from catcalls to rape.

But the focus on how terrible Egyptian men supposedly are belies a fundamental disconnect about not only Egyptian men but Western men as well.  It ignores the fact that sexism, sexual harassment, domestic violence, and sexual assault are endemic in Western societies.  Yes, there are plenty of douches in Egypt. There were days I wanted to punch the next guy who called me a mozah. But I know and have interacted with way more good, decent, respectful Egyptian men than disrespectful ones. 

First, a short introduction for those who may not know me to contextualize my reaction.  I’m a twenty-something white American who travels pretty extensively throughout the Middle East.  I do not consider myself ugly and, thanks to my love of running and lifting, am pretty fit.  I don’t dress super fancy or skimpy.  I’m not sure how else to say this, but not even the abaya I had to wear while in Saudi hid the fact my theme song could be, “Baby’s Got Back.”

In short? I’m a pretty good target for sexual harassment. But I’ve had many more problems with sexual harassment and discrimination at home than in Egypt.   

Late one night last summer in Cairo, my two American guy friends and I took the metro home.  The platform was packed, and the metro was even more so. I’m pretty good at pushing my way into small spaces, and after I got on the train I turned around just in time to see the doors close—with my friends being left on the platform. Crap, I thought.  I looked around—it was 2am or something and I was in a metro car full of men.  Alone.  And something amazing happened. Almost instantaneously, there was a bubble around me.  Perhaps it was the post-revolutionary euphoria, but every man around me was conscious to not even touch me, despite the fact we were pressed in like sardines.  One guy even offered me gum.

This is not to say there is no problem with sexual harassment in Egyptian society—there undoubtedly is.  But it’s not a problem unique to Egypt, and Westerners should think twice about their own societies before passing judgment on a huge swath of Egypt’s population. What is more, I would be hard pressed to name one society—ONE—not grappling with some form of sexual harassment or discrimination.   

I’m on this listserv called Cairo Scholars where khwagas (Arabic slang for foreigners) send out questions—where can I get soya products? Where can I get fish (the fish market?!?!), where can I get a clown (!!!), or apartment vacancies.  This morning, controversy broke out when one dude sent out and email to the thousands of subscribers, highlighting an article about sexual harassment and saying, “Another fine example of the way women, and western women, are seen and treated in Egyptian culture.” A few weeks ago, there was a similarly condescending conversation on Mona el-Tahawy’s article, “Why Do They Hate Us?” The highlights of that conversation: “I wonder if Egyptians are ever going to do something about this?” and “I have been wondering myself what Egyptians are doing in their daily lives” (Ask).

How can people have such a lack of understanding about Egypt—the society in which they ostensibly live? And get off your high horse. We’ve got our issues too. 

In one particularly cringe-worthy moment, I was at a cousin’s wedding, chatting with some distant family member about what I did.  He asked me if I was a nurse or a teacher; I said no, I worked on Capitol Hill.  Oh, where did I go and what did I study to get into that kind of work? English? Ugh. He asked me if I was a typist or secretary, I said no, I am working on an investigation into offshore money laundering and another on corrupt African dictatorships. 

After undergrad I worked for a few years for the United States Congress and if there is any institution with a sexual harassment and discrimination problem, it’s Congress.  I cannot even list the amount of times I was dismissed of being some starry-eyed, “cute” girl with a silly dream of saving the world. Nor can I list the amount of meetings I attended in which my counterpart did not look me in the face. 

It didn’t matter that I graduated from a good school, was successful, was all business and had no problem with kicking butt and taking names.  Some people were so blinded by my appearance and their own preconceptions they refused to give me real credit for my work.

A few Thanksgivings ago, I had made dinner and my family enjoyed the fruits of my labor, we all stood up to clean—except the men. They went into the other room to watch football. So I followed them, told them that I cooked so they clean. My dad looked at me incredulously, but I was serious. And they went into the kitchen and cleaned.

How many times have I been walking down the street or running—RUNNING—on the treadmill and told, “Honey, why aren’t you smiling?” Who just walks around by themselves smiling like an idiot? Who runs on a treadmill smiling?

Not to mention the number of times I’ve been on the treadmill in front of a mirror and see guys behind me, just standing there staring.

One day I was waiting for a taxi to take me to the airport in Italy and some man kept on walking after me and saying gross stuff in the deserted streets at 4am.  I had to flag down a garbage man to stay with me until the cab arrived.

And yes. Domestic violence happens. 

I admit these instances are different from those highlighted in the press regarding Egyptian men, but understanding the limitations and weaknesses in our own society is important before we go passing judgment on others. 

Nothing disgusts me more than Westerners—especially men—patting themselves on the back for how they treat women or making lofty declarations about how men in other societies treat women. He who has never sexually harassed, throw the first stone.    I think we would find there would be very few stones thrown. 

8 comments:

  1. However this phenomenon of groping and now group groping is not parceling in the west due to strong rule of law and relative professionalism of police.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is so laughable it boggles my mind, quite honestly. Feminism and sexual harassment are, um, not the same issues, and mixing them up like this is just astonishingly silly.

    From a feminist perspective, obviously there are problems in the United States- many stemming from the complete opposite of the situation in Cairo, in my view- the oversexed nature of U.S. culture/excess sex positivity. But do I have to worry about being grabbed anytime I go anywhere alone? Never. No matter what I'm wearing. Do I, in the United States, have to worry about boys on mopeds shouting detailed comments about my ass or saying "fuck you" to me, or talking to me about blow jobs, while my complete helplessness is made all too clear to me? No. BIG difference from asking if one is a secretary.

    As also an American woman who's been in Cairo for some time, I would rather be hit on or condescended to 50 times over than have to run the gauntlet of fixed stares and men that have no shame about making me feel uncomfortable. Every time I walk...essentially anywhere in Cairo.

    I also have NEVER, in the United States, been grabbed by boys while surrounded by uncaring bystanders with apparently no pride in themselves or their country in the United States, nor have I been followed by groups of boys and hassled until I start crying, had fingers shoved around my genitalia while walking in a crowded market, had to think about rape-defense clothing every time I go downtown, or walk knowing that someone could violate my space and grab me at any minute. And that they're COMPLETELY unaccountable.

    Being swerved at by shabbab on their moped, just to scare me and make me jump, while everyone wanders unconcernedly past, sums it up best- the malice and confidence in their unaccountability is what makes Cairo sexual harassment special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa, this is a great post. You touched on some really important issues that are often left out of these discussions.

    Anonymous 1 and 2: You're right, the level of street harassment in the US is much lower. But before you make such strong distinctions between sexual harassment in Egypt and the US, here are a few statistics for you (I can find you the sources if you want them and can't find them):
    - One in six women in the United States will be a victim of rape during her lifetime
    - At LEAST 1 in 6 college-age men in the United States will admit to raping a woman in anonymous surveys, so long as the word 'rape' is left out of the definition of the act.

    Anonymous 2, I feel you, I really do, but sexual assault is no less of a problem in the US. It just happens behind closed doors and is usually perpetrated by someone the victim knows. As to which is worse... if you're the victim, I don't think it matters.

    Here's my response to the sexual attacks in Tahrir, if anyone's interested: http://bloggingegypt.blogspot.com/2012/06/whats-use-of-one-more-blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we are not comparing the sexual harassment in Egypt with sexual assault in the United States. Assault is obviously worse than harassment. I'm saying that there isn't HARASSMENT on anything, anything approaching the same level.

      And, honestly, in terms of ability to avoid it and how much it affects your daily mood and walk to the metro station, harassment is much worse than "assault behind closed doors" in the U.S. In the U.S., I can avoid those closed doors, and I can get a feel for the person- I can't avoid taking the metro in Cairo or avoid all the men on the street that I have a hunch are sketchy.

      So, as far as I'm concerned, and I do feel like I'm sort of qualified to say, the constant harassment is incomparably worse than the semi-avoidable risk of sexual assault in the United States.

      Delete
  4. I think Anonymous put it best: "the malice and confidence in their unaccountability is what makes Cairo sexual harassment special."

    I remember when I first arrived in Cairo and I was standing at the bar and a guy came up to me and asked "Are you a teacher?" I was irate. How dare he assume as a woman, I was a teacher. I had studied hard to become a professional woman in a male dominated industry (no matter where you are in the world). Time passed and I met this same person again and I told him how offensive I found his question, his answer was simple- "Well a majority of the young people in Maadi are teachers. The younger journalists and university students live down town." It hit me that it wasn't my sex that made him assume I was a teacher, it was the people I surrounded myself with and my age. And then he said something equally profound, "Why are you offended to be asked if you are a teacher. Its a great profession. I'm a teacher." I realized I was an occupation snob. You're secretary story to me falls in that category. Maybe judging from your age and your appearance your distant relative thought you were too young to be a professional on Capitol Hill. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that its because you're female he made that assumption. Look at Condalezza, Hillary, Pelosi, dare I say it... Palin. Women are gaining momentum in politics. And they're taking it by storm.

    Washing dishes? Seriously. Every single man in my family and many of my male friends help cook and clean for large meals. I'm sorry if you have not encounter these men but I certainly would not consider them a rare breed.

    I would rather be asked if I am a teacher or secretary than have a guy grab my butt. I would rather wash the dishes after cooking than be intimidated by a a guy on a motorbike circling over and over again around the block. I would much rather somebody tell me to smile than to say "I want to sex you." I would rather men stare at me with their pants on in the gym, then walk past a guy masturbating openly in the street as he watches me.

    Your Italy story was the only story that made sense with relation to the topic and yet, you used a male to protect you. Reverse sexism. Why didn't you flag down a female? Likewise, with the story of the subway. You freaked out momentarily when you were alone in the subway because your male friends were left behind but automatically felt comforted with the men that formed a bubble to protect you.

    Comparing Cairo with the US doesn't work. The problem is once Cairo gets over the overt sexual harassment, it will still face problems of sexism, subtle sexual harassment, domestic violence (which goes largely unreported in Egypt... more so than the US)and sexual assault. It is light years away from Western Societies... where if I get my ass grabbed I can report them to the police and they will be held accountable. Where if I get harassed at work, I can sue. Where if I am beaten by my husband, I can go to the police and there is no law on the books condoning the hitting of women. This is not the case in Egypt. And to try to dismiss it or "water it down" as a problem is as the previous person wrote "laughable". Not every Egyptian man is a chauvinistic pig but to say that it is not a huge problem shows your ignorance of Egyptian society and the women who live in it.

    And if you actually read the referenced email/posting you will notice that the author did not call all Egyptian men sexist. And actually mentioned Egyptian men at one point forming a bubble to protect her. To grossly misinterpret both the person who submitted it to CS and the author herself so that you can write a blog condemning people for speaking out against sexual harassment is in your own words "disgusting".

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Blogging in Egypt- Did you know sexual assault is down 60% in America from 1993? That is 2,546,420 Americans. My source is RAINN which I am assuming is also your source.

    1 out of 6 is not actual Rape. (not that it makes it any better). But the actual statistic is: 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).

    I was raped in college. My rapist was tried and convicted. So I am not discounting the rape statistics in America. However, its the old adage that two wrongs don't make a right. Just because there is sexual assault in America, does not mean that you cannot or should not address sexual assault in Egypt. Although, it appears in your blog that you do.

    Additionally, grouping together sexism, sexual harassment, sexual assault and domestic violence in a group is a little too broad. Sexism CAN be very different than a man groping a woman's boob. They may have similar root causes but think about it... When I get a flat tire, I always call a guy friend to come and change it. (And I can change it, I just dont want to.) I never call a girl friend. A man offering to open a door for a woman, change a tire, carry heavy boxes is "sexist" and exhibiting forms of "sexism". It does not make people bad for exhibiting these forms of sexism. They are considered chivalrous. Is there bad sexism? Duh. Point is, sexism isn't always bad.

    Sexual assault and sexual harassment, however, can never be done in such a way to make the recipient feel warm and fuzzy. Now is the root cause of both "sexism"? Yes. And I don't think Domestic Violence should be grouped with the 3 either. Again, people can be violent without raping or assaulting someone. Just like the author is angry that the CS posting was far too broad in grouping Egyptians together. Grouping all 4 items was a bit too far fetched.

    I disagree with her posting. I think its sad that she didn't bring up the dude asking how people could take steps towards correcting the problem. The only agreeable thing in this article is people on CS ask some of the dumbest questions... over and over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all, and thank you very much for your comments. I strove to not downplay the fact there was sexual harassment in Egypt--there is, and I noted that.

    Here, I say it:

    This is not to say there is no problem with sexual harassment in Egyptian society—there undoubtedly is. But it’s not a problem unique to Egypt, and Westerners should think twice about their own societies before passing judgment on a huge swath of Egypt’s population.

    However, a lot of the time the conversation sounds like, "What's wrong with Egyptian men?" And for every creeper I pass by on the street, there are 15 men I pass by who do not even glance at me. Yes, harassment and discrimination are different. But I think what "goes on behind close doors" as one poster mentioned is 1,000X more mentally debilitating than being disrespected by a total stranger. You can't control what happens behind closed doors, first of all, and second of all, unless you've been in a situation where you are being abused sexually, physically, or mentally by a trusted male (father, brother, boyfriend, husband) it is really difficult to say what you would do.

    Egypt has a problem. But so does the United States. So does Italy. So does Argentina. And the tone that is taken in many CS emails is condescending. I was not downplaying the severity of sexual harassment in Egypt at all. Read my post, I never said that. Instead, the tone taken on the listserv, the tendency to lump all Egyptian men into the "sexual harasser" category when most are amazing, and the fact that we have our own issues to deal with are what I was trying to highlight.

    After I wrote this I had a handful of girls email me about experiences they had in the States with cars following them, men following them, etc.

    And yes, anon at 3:38. There are some dumb, dumb questions on CS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, why didn't I flag down a female in Italy? because I flagged down the first person I saw on the deserted streets at 4am and it happened to be a man. There was no one else around. I would have happily flagged down another girl if there had been one.

    And yes, I momentarily freaked out on the metro. But then the Egyptian men showed me I was being a jerk. That's the point of the story and the "moral" that I hope we all remember when thinking about how we discuss the issue.

    ReplyDelete